Warpath, Mantic Games & Models, Dystopian Wars, Kings of War, Warhammer 40K | Cookie Policy

Forum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.com Forum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.com

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games Systems » Historical Gaming » Dark Ages & Medieval

Post subject: Sons now taken up dark ages 28mm!
 Post Posted: December 27th, 2013, 1:20 pm 
Guardsman

Much to my delight the eldest two have splashed their Xmas money on a set of Saga 28mm skirmish rules and three armies, Anglo Norse, Jomsviking and Normans. Ive taken on making and painting the Anglio Danes and helping with the others. Im in a state of bliss after all the horrid Space marines Ive done for gloops. Ive made and primed the first 30 odd Gripping Beast plasticss and when im not feeeling so crap will start painting them proper.

In the meantime Ive really enjoyed making the fiirst bits of scenery, a couple os Saxon houses based on the dimensions of the Weaving houseat West Stow recreated saxon village. I used some pan scourers, 1mm flax cord, some vaneer from a cigar box and some plastic comics box deviders I kept when herself sold her collection. For a first go Im pretty pleased.

Although they look realy good I couldnt bring myself to use toweling or teddy bear fur for the thatched roofs as even the best ones done dont look much like real thatch done by a professional thatcher. Scoring pads dont look as pretty but are as close as i could get without using up all the kids milliput and sculpting it.

Ive just received some 28 mm scale rulers from theis lot, who were very helpful.

http://www.rulers-of-the-world.com/13Irulers.html

They are 1:65 but they will do them to any scale if your inclined to think 28mm is closer to 1:56 as Ive read some do.

Since it was converting the real sizes to 28mm that was my main stumbling block (being practically innumerate) until I found a web site that did the conversions for you I am chufed to get them. Incidentally they are looking for stockists over here. No connections but a very pleased customer.

I still have two reclaimed Landraiders to do, 3 Landspeeders and a bunch of stripped terminators but at least the saxons will make it less of a chore!

ATB

Tom

Post subject: Re: Sons now taken up dark ages 28mm!
 Post Posted: January 1st, 2014, 8:41 pm 
Guardsman

I'm about halfway through doing the next two buildings, one based on the dimensions of The Hall at West Stow and the other on a pig sty there.

Post Posted: January 1st, 2014, 10:35 pm 
GW cheerleader

The scale depends on whether you measure to the eye or the top of the head. All figure scales are based on a 6 foot human, making a 28mm tall figure 1/56 scale.

Post Posted: January 2nd, 2014, 11:16 am 
Lord Solar

Nice job

Post Posted: January 2nd, 2014, 10:27 pm 
Guardsman

Cheers! Finished them. Need to sort out a patter n for a saxon barn next.

I'm putting off painting those pesky faces I haven't had to do with the lads helmeted Marines, ain't I?

We've splashed out on a set of Valejo paints I need to get my head around as well.

ATB

Tom

Post Posted: December 14th, 2014, 1:41 am 
Guardsman

Finally got around to painting the middle sons first 4 points of his Saga Anglo Saxons, excuse the iPad quality photo!

The eldest, who I did all the Space marines for is painting his own Normans, with a bit of help from me.

I did some more buildings for the farmstead, just need to do a garden and a few fields before I do some more scenery like woods and water features

ATB

Tom

Post Posted: December 14th, 2014, 9:47 am 
Lord Solar

Looking nice as ever Tom...

Post Posted: December 14th, 2014, 7:25 pm 
Admin Commissar

Scenery looks good, and I do like Gripping Beast minis. I have their 28mm Carthaginians and Normans

Post Posted: January 19th, 2016, 3:32 pm 
Guardsman

It's been a while but I've done another Saga points worth of Anglo Saxons cheorls for the Middle son

They've had two coats of W&N Matt varnish , spears are hard brass jobs, paints Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylics. I need to get some contrasting flock for the bases to match their war games table.

Next some of the new plastic archers, I'm doing 12 as saxons while his brothers doing 12 as Normans.

Atb

Tom

Post Posted: January 20th, 2016, 9:36 am 
Conscript

Very impressive, should look good on the table.

http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Posted: January 20th, 2016, 1:42 pm 
Guardsman

Cheers! His elder brother is working on a bunch of Normans ( less the horses coats I'm doing with the base coat- coat of thinned down oil paint-wait 15 minutes-wipe off most of the oil paint method ).

Apart from some ugly stepped hills all the scenery I've done for their 40k is no use so I need to do plenty of natural features. I may do one or two hybrid buildings , wattle and daub but with corrugated iron roof and communication gear, plenty of Eagle insignia sort of like you'd get on a backwards 40K agri world as a government building.

On that vague note I'm working on the last of two corner ruins from the Pegasus Gothic City Ruins 1 set we got years back. To make it look a bit different from the other I've cut it down a bit and used the bits in the top layer of sprue rubble. I've got a fat as the first coat of Humbrol 27 grey on over the Vallejo primer.

ATB

Tom

Post Posted: December 1st, 2016, 2:34 pm 
Guardsman

Just finished another 4 points of Saga Anglo saxons/danes for the middle son. Pics a bit washed out but its the 4 columns from the left. 4 Hearth guard/Hurscarls 2 x 8 Cheorls/ select fyrd and 12 levy archers.

ATB

Tom

Board index » Games Systems » Historical Gaming » Dark Ages & Medieval