Warpath, Mantic Games & Models, Dystopian Wars, Kings of War, Warhammer 40K | Cookie Policy

Forum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.com Forum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.comForum, Shop and Podcast 6s2hit.com

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games Systems » GW's Warhammer Fantasy Battle » Background & Rumours

Post subject: Re: Possible hints of 9th edition?
 Post Posted: September 6th, 2013, 7:44 am 
SpamHammer

Manouvering to get the charge in fantasy was everything.

They removed a whole level of play and tactics by getting rid of that, also it killed armies like orcs who were assaulty but had low int as it made charging pointless against some armies as you where dead or lost the combat res before you had rolled.

Stronger
"If one little rules change is going to make you rage then in you're in the wrong game!" "Zach of the Independent Characters"
http://blood-claw.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: September 6th, 2013, 9:52 am 
Admin Commissar

I always liken the charge in my mind to action on a rugby pitch. I break blind from a scrum with ball in hand at full pace....momentum versus the defending blindside winger, I know who's winning (NOT him).

Ah well...as an aggressive player it always sat better with my mind and what passes for logic therein that the momentum of the charge etc...but who am I to judge. I'm not a games designer.

Back on topic then chaps. Any more rumours?

Post Posted: September 6th, 2013, 1:07 pm 
GW cheerleader

I wouldn't want the charger to automatically go first, unless they were in the flank or rear of the enemy unit. When charging the enemy face on they will be prepared to repel the charge, especially when armed with spears/pikes. Cavalry with lances charging a unit without spears or pikes could go first though.

One advantage that the charging unit would get is a Strength bonus. That would better represent the momentum than an Initiative boost would.

Post Posted: September 6th, 2013, 1:36 pm 
Mr Brushes

I hated the "charger goes first" rule in previous editions. It did make getting that charge more important than it is now, but it also made every other bit of gameplay almost pointless. The entire game was focused around getting the charge you needed, and the rest didn't really matter. It meant that the meta turned into baiting and fleeing, putting all your power into one big unit full of characters just to have them get into a winning combat and then systematically go through the enemy army. In some armies it wasn't a problem, but facing Vampire Counts for example just turned into an exercise in boredom. Get hit in the flank by zombies, unable to do things just waiting for that big charge by Grave Guard and Vampires. Yawn.

Post Posted: July 29th, 2015, 6:26 pm 
Unholy

There will be no "9th Edition".

To my understanding the whole WHFB world is now destroyed. Gone. Dead.

Each army will now be their own "realms" and "Age of Sigmar" will be more like Warmachine. No points. You can still sue your old models but Orcs are being discontinued and the Empire looks like proto-marines.

Sp, no more novels in Warhammer Fantasy. No more armies. No more large scale battles. There will a grace period wherein you can "bid a fond farewell to 8th" (sic) and if you want to keep up with the current game you'll be expected to fork over cash for the new models.

Post Posted: August 9th, 2015, 4:57 pm 
Grand Master

Yup, gorn. WHFB needed something doing to it to make it a viable franchise. In my opinion it didn't need what happened to it to be done. Time will tell however. I'm just glad I'm not one of those who had a WHFB army they'd created over years to only have it chucked out the window with the new system. At least folks can still play the old editions if they want to.

At 6's2Hit, we Podcast. All over your face.

Board index » Games Systems » GW's Warhammer Fantasy Battle » Background & Rumours